Monday 12 August 2013

Entry 1 (magazine)

The 7 Steps of Highly Cool People

Submitted to: Airil Haimi Mohd Adnan, tutor

In partial requirement for BEL 313,
Introduction to Critical Thinking.
Test #2, semester 1 2013/2014,
Universiti Teknologi MARA, Seri
Iskandar Campus, Perak Darul Ridzuan.

Submitted by: Natasha Binti Ibrahim, UiTM # 2011249068

     Based on the article, I think that the 7 steps of Highly Cool people is fun to read but this article lack of fact and evidence. The steps given are relevant to the statement that the issues of teenager encouraged to become cool.  However, the article is not made of true facts. It is merely the author’s opinion. For me, the author includes a few of fallacies that can be found in the article. Besides that, the author gives clearly the use of appeal to inappropriate authority. For example, “Because I am an adult and I know better. It is because I am a Guru of Cool”. The question is, can I put the trust in adult to know the definition of cool.

     Moreover, this article use an example of slippery slope in the first step, that is “It makes your teeth go yellow and gives a pungent stench to your sweat”. This is the bad effect of smoking that the author gave in the statement. The other fallacy that I find in the article is an appeal to tradition. For example, “I know, I know, some of you are allowed to drink alcohol when you come of age”. It is assumed that something is correct simply because it is always had been done.

     In a nutshell, I believe that the article is fun to read but the author has to give strong facts  and evidences to make it believable. So, do not simply accept the statement in this article.


(250 words)
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment